Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Movie reviews: SATC; Definitely, Maybe; College Road Trip

Sex and the City

I finally was able to see this movie and I loved it! I didn't cry as much as I thought I would (based on reviews I've heard/read) but there were definitely some sad and joyful moments that made me a little teary-eyed. I caught the movie with my sister and I'm really glad our parents didn't join us like they normally do. Some of the scenes were a bit of a shocker since I had been watching the watered-down TBS versions for so long. Yes, the movie was a bit long but that was fine by me because I really enjoyed seeing the girls all together again! The fashions were super fun, too, and it was nice to see so many of the old gang (Stanford, Harry, Smith, Big, Steve, Magda, Anthony, etc) again. Jennifer Hudson was a nice addition as well.

I do think the movie poster is a little mis-leading, though. Yes, of course, Carrie is the main character and the movie is from her point of view. But the movie profiles all four of the women who all go through major developments in their own personal lives. The movie poster should have been similar to the photos used with the season DVD sets - all four women should have been included.

On a side note, I spotted a couple of familiar faces in the movie which I later confirmed to be the actors I thought they were. Again - useless information - but just indulge me:

1) "Miranda" of the new generation (girl to the left of SJP) is now competing on MTV's Legally Blonde The Musical: The Search for Elle Woods.


2) The girl from the bathroom at the auction is Daphne Rubin-Vega aka Mimi from the original Broadway cast of Rent (both my sister and I spotted this one)


I also got to watch two new movies during my 5 hour flight on Monday.

Definitely, Maybe

This movie was OK... Ryan Reynolds was pretty good and he was surrounded by a pretty solid female cast including Abigail Breslin, Elizabeth Banks, Isla Fisher, and Rachel Weisz. Although, now that I know the ending (i.e. which character is Abigail's mother) - I don't know if I'd watch it again. Kinda slow and boring.



College Road Trip

Surprising, I actually did enjoy this one. Martin Lawrence can be pretty funny and I've always liked Raven Symone from her days on The Cosby Show to all her Disney Channel stuff. But if I'm being really honest, Donny Osmond's cameo scenes killed me! His super peppy cheesy self cracked me up. I'd watch this one again if it's on TV or something.

0 fascinating comment(s) from my friends: