Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Thoughts on 90210

Yes - I'll admit it, I had to watch the premiere of 90210.



Oops - I meant this version:



The premiere was TWO hours long and I watched ALL of it. They got me with that Entertainment Weekly cover story. Overall, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... though, I'm not sure I'll add it to my DVR list.

Some random comments:

  • I do like the little tie-ins to the original show (besides the obvious Jennie Garth and Shannen Doherty thing), like news girl "Hannah Zuckerman", Kelly's sister "Erin Silver", etc
  • It's nice to see Jennie Garth back on TV... even if she isn't ballroom dancing! (She's much better without Amanda Bynes, as well) She looks great, too, doesn't she?
  • The new "Brenda Walsh" girl (Annie) is way too skinny... and I think her teeth are too big, too. I'm just sayin'! Although she totally looks like she could be related to Lori Loughlin


  • Ethan is not enough of a dreamboat to be dating the "It Girl" - actually, there's no dreamboat on this show at all! Where is the Dylan McKay of the new generation?
  • "It Girl", Naomi, looks wicked old - she's supposed to be 16? OK. She also kind of looks dated, like she's from the 80's or something.

  • I think they try too hard to be over-the-top... I think it's ridiculous that a girl would, um, you know! in the school parking lot with all her classmates walking around nearby plus the drug stuff plus Lori Loughlin's suggestion to Naomi's mom that they exchange stories about her husband's man stuff, etc
  • Totally don't care about the story line with the druggie actress
  • A reunion of Nat, Brenda, Kelly - wowsa! Didn't even notice the tension between Shannen and Jennie
  • I actually like Dixon as the adopted member of the Walsh-like family - it's kinda cute
  • Are there really high schools with principals as handsome as Rob Estes?

That's all I got. Did anyone else catch it?

On a related note, I missed the premiere of Gossip Girl! I'll catch the repeat this weekend...

4 fascinating comment(s) from my friends:

Amanda said...

I agree with the critique. The "it" girl does look old. I also thought that the show was too choppy. They just had so many darn story lines that they wanted to fit in there. I totally don't care about the druggie girl either. lame. I doubt I will watch another show either.

Anonymous said...

Auds, who is the last guy in the picture of the original cast?

-Matt & Kelly

audgepodge said...

I can't remember his name but it was David Silver's nerdy friend that accidentally shot himself. Do you remember that one?

BTW - did you guys revive your blog again???

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, now we remember...

Kelly is strongly considering starting to do some more blogging...stay tuned.