Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Return of So You Think You Can Dance

YAY! I'm so happy that So You Think You Can Dance is back on the air. I always look forward to the end of American Idol for this reason alone, haha.

The Top 20 had their first performance show last night... loved it! So great to see all those familiar faces again. Plus Adam Shankman is one of my favorite guest judges.

Here are my favorite performances of the night:

Jeanine & Philip: Ne-Yo / Tabitha and Napoleon piece
I *love* Tabitha and Napoleon's choreography... this had a similar feel to their "No Air" and "Bleeding Love" routines, hip hop with a storyline. It was awesome to see Phillip in his element in a choreographed piece and he and Jeanine both did such a great job. The choreography seemed so intricate!




Caitlin & Jason: Bollywood / Jai Ho
Nice to see they brought Bollywood back this season. I can't imagine them ever going wrong with this style since the costumes alone are always so gorgeous. Great piece!




Ashley & Kupono: Crash Test Dummy / Wade Robson piece

Sometimes Wade Robson routines are hit or miss for me but I really liked this one. Their movements were so fluid and you really believed they were crash test dummies!




Melissa & Ade: Right Here Waiting / Mandy Moore piece

This one is really beautiful and romantic.



All in all, it was a great show. It will be interesting to see which ones get the boot tonight. I'll guess Paris and Tony for now.

And how crazy was it that Louis Van Amstel is now choreographing for the show? I'm used to seeing SYTYCD alums on DWTS but not vice versa. I'll be honest, he was one of my least favorite professionals on that show, but I liked what he brought to the show tonight. I know everyone was raving about that final samba number. It was good, definitely, but not one that I wanted to watch again.

Which ones were your favorite? Who do you think will get voted off tonight?

5 fascinating comment(s) from my friends:

Alisa said...

Is wade the guy that did the "fox" dance awhile back? If so, I so didn't get it!

One of my friends from elementary school/HS has done guest choreograhy on this show for swing.

I love love love Bollywood! I totally agree with your costume comment. Happy to see utube videos here since I went to bed early and didn't see anything past 9pm.

P.S. This show always has great music. Unlike DWTS and their crappy live band.

kirby said...

i am so bummed that it's not on hulu or fox.com :p

will you make me another cd of the music? i <3 my audrey 08 summer mix! how about in exchange for cookies?

Runner Leana said...

I am so happy the show is back on! You definitely called my favorites, although I did like the final samba routine and would have added it in too.

What did you think of the smooch at the end of the Bollywood routine? Planned or not? Kind of looked like it too Caitlin by surprise maybe?

Amanda said...

You called out my favorites for sure too! I also wonder about that kiss at the end of the Bollywood number...I have never seen the dancers ACTUALLY kiss. Interesting!! I am happy with who they kicked off this week too. :)

audgepodge said...

Alisa - Yes, I think Wade did do that fox dance (the one with Lacey and Sabra, right?) Yeah, I didn't get that either, haha! Who's your friend that choreographs for the show? Can he/she get us tickets? HAHAHA...

Kirby - You're so cute! Yes, I will glady accept cookies in exchange for music :)

Leana, Amanda - Yes, I was shocked by the Bollywood kiss too!!! But it seemed like she was into it at the end. Very interesting...

And too bad for Tony and Paris but I think they were the right ones to go...