Monday, December 29, 2008

Audrey's Top Ten Songs for 2008

OK, to be honest, I didn't spend that much time compiling this list so I'm not even sure if most of these songs came out this year - but after taking a quick scan of my playlists on iTunes, here are my favorite songs of the year.

The funny thing is that most of these songs were ones I downloaded after hearing them on one of the dance shows.

1. Don't Stop the Music - Rihanna

I think I fell in love with this song when they used it for the opening number for the "Idol Gives Back" special when they combined the talents of the contestants from "American Idol" and "So You Think You Can Dance". It's just a fun song that always makes me want to boogie which also makes it good for running.

2. Forever - Chris Brown

Another song that makes me bop around... whenever this played in my car, I would find myself bouncing around and rocking to the beat. :)

3. Single Ladies - Beyonce

This is a totally catchy song - I got this song stuck in the heads of both my co-workers (male ones at that!) and my sister - haha.

4. Mercy - Duffy

I love the nostalgic sound of this tune - definitely different from what you normally hear.

5. No Air - Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown
6. Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis

These two are songs that I liked when they came out, but I really grew to love them when they were used on SYTYCD. And I think both were used in routines by two of my fave choreographers - Tabitha and Napoleon.

7. Say - John Mayer

Normally, I don't like John Mayer tunes - or maybe I just don't like him and his playboy ways. :P But when they used this song for that rumba routine between Mark Ballas and Kristi Yamaguchi on "Dancing with the Stars", I immediately had to download it. I like the romantic feel of the song.

8. Live Your Life - TI featuring Rihanna

Dude - I love this song. It always makes me start bobbing my head and sometimes I want to start waving my arms, too. (I know, I'm a nerd.)

9. Womanizer - Britney Spears

Aww... Britney is making a comeback! I wouldn't say she is 100% back but I loved seeing her sassiness back in this video.

10. Flightless Bird, American Mouth - Iron & Wine

And of course, there had to be some Twilight-related contribution since I now have possession of both the soundtrack and the score and have been listening to both obsessively.

This is the song used in the prom scene, aka the romantic ending of the film. I love the romantic sound of the song - it makes me feel all warm and mushy. But then I made a mistake. See, I normally don't really pay attention to the actual lyrics of songs - I'm kind of clueless that way. And then one day I realized I had no idea what this particular song was about so I went ahead and looked up the lyrics. My initial reaction? WTF!???? So now the song has lost a little of the magic for me, but I still love it. I'm sure this will still make my playlists one my Twilight obsession fades... although considering they're targeting November 2009 for the release date of the sequel, I don't think that will happen anytime soon.




What were your favorite songs of the year? I got some iTunes gift cards for Christmas so I'm always looking for some new songs to download.

1 fascinating comment(s) from my friends:

KellyG said...

Happy New Year, Audrey! Great songs - our playlists are very similar. Might have something to do with our shared love for SYTYCD...Anyway, here's another one I love to run to because it's so inspirational: it's called "Just Stand Up!" - from a bunch of female singers (Beyonce, Fergie, Carrie Underwood, Sheryl Crow, etc.) for the breast cancer benefit they did a few months ago. Hope you like it!